In today's class, we watched a documentary called "Constructing Public Opinion", which focused on how politicians used bribery and manipulate citizens to be in favor of them. Everything I learned today was a first for me, so the information was quite shocking to hear.
We covered in detail what kinds of techniques politicians use to gain more supporters. We were first told that many politicians state vague themes intentionally because it is easier to get support from citizens. At first, I was confused why this is true, but after hearing the reasoning behind this, I was able to comprehend it. In reality, there are many issues, such as global warming or environmental pollution, to which many support that we should take action to prevent them. However, many politicians do not state that they support these issues because if they were to truly take action, there would be fewer benefits for the supporters. For example, if students(supporters) were asked, "should the school take measures to increase the student's grades?", many would most likely support this. However, when the school states specific conditions that the students are required to do, such as "students must study 5 hours every single day", many would be against this and this results in losing supporters. This is the same in politics, and the vaguer the theme, the easier it is to earn supporters.
I also learned about how recently, the Japanese government is deceiving us citizens about the total number of daily Covid-19 cases. When compared to the world, Japan had fewer numbers of recorded Covid-19 cases, but this was due to the fact that Japan is testing fewer people. So, in reality, there is a high possibility that the number of cases is bigger, but citizens are being manipulated into thinking that the situation our country is in is not that severe. My mom was recently searching up places she could possibly take the PCR test in(just to be safe), and she had mentioned that one test was around ¥10,000~¥25,000. This makes absolutely no sense because the tests are free in many countries. This made me feel uneasy since I was also convinced that the Covid-19 situation in Japan was progressively getting better. I want to take this opportunity to not believe everything the government states to be true, and do my own research to uncover the authenticity of the information that I get from a day-to-day basis.
Comments
Post a Comment