Today, Mr. Paterson revealed to us how our school insisted on having a paper-based test during the test period in the upcoming month, and how he would not be able to do normal classes for that period. I agreed with his opinion saying that memory-based test was inefficient, because for me personally, utilizing the skills and information we learned in a certain class on our own will certainly be more useful throughout life than only memorizing something once and not getting anything out of it. I just do not understand what good it does to just memorize random information if we cannot even utilize it for our own advantage and improving our knowledge. I personally think that it would be better to measure and grade students by how well they have adapted and have been able to utilize it throughout working on various assignments. By doing so, what information we acquire in classes will actually be beneficial for our studies as well as our future jobs.
I do not think our school will immediately change to not doing memory-based tests which is a shame. I feel this is irrelevant for our generation since we should be able to utilize and make use of the technology and tools we have at hand. I had never put too much thought into it, but we have never had a test for Mr. Paterson's class since we started his classes last year. Even though we have never had a test to see how well we remember the skills he has introduced us to, I can certainly state that I and presumably many others who have been in his class can explain and utilize the tools he has shown us correctly and efficiently. This can make it clear that when you are able to utilize the information you have gained, it naturally sticks to your memory and you will be able to remember whenever you would like to.
"I had never put too much thought into it, but we have never had a test for Mr. Paterson's class since we started his classes last year." And you never will.:)
ReplyDelete