Today, I learned about the inconvenient truth about our media, and the significance of this. After this particular class, my mindset about media has changed drastically. I always believed that the media was a source that shared authentic information, but I now believe that it is just as fabricated as other companies existing in the industry. We were mainly informed about this concept called "Manufacturing Consent", which contains 5 filters(ownership, advertising, access, flak, ideology) that every piece of writing must go through until it can be published to the public. I was genuinely scared to learn how severely the information we see on a day-to-day basis is heavily fabricated and biased, and that many newspaper companies and news outlets do this mainly for their profit, just like any other company. This makes me concerned to what extent the information in the media is actually plausible and what is not.
We also learned about how the "important news" is filtered in the Japanese Media, and this was shocking as well. I found out the existence of "Kisha Clubs", and I felt this system was absolutely useless to someone who wants to know the raw information. The people who are in the Kisha Clubs will only be able to ask questions that have been approved by the authority in advance, and this pressurizes them into not being able to ask the questions that they are most concerned about. I felt that this is a system that only pressurizes the reporters into fabricating and bending the truth and spreading this unrealistic media to deceive the viewers. I want to be more aware of this system in both the Japanese and World Media, and be able to critically view the information shared with me.
Comments
Post a Comment