I'm quite late on writing this blog, but I decided to read the book, "The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane" for the pleasure reading homework Mr. Paterson assigned us at the end of the last semester. I selected this book because my Dad had bought it as a gift before I came back to Japan, and since then I have never had the chance to get my hands on it until now. This book is a bit like, "The Mark of Athena", with the main character being in a position where they experience things that in reality, we cannot, and them developing with the support of others around them. To simply summarize, this book is about a china doll rabbit with the name of Edward Tulane, and he embarks on a journey back home to his first owner, Abilene Tulane.
I genuinely loved the various connections he holds as time passes by, and I think this was significant in his overall development as being the main character of the book. At the beginning of the story, Edward Tulane is a cold-hearted and stuck-up china rabbit that only respects his 10-year old mistress, Abilene Tulane. Every day, she dressed him up in silk suits and shirts designed solely for him, so indeed, he was living in a world of luxury. His bubble pops one day, when he and the Tulane family take an ocean cruise, and he happens to go overboard to live months underwater, where the light of day cannot reach him anymore. He's miraculously caught in a fisherman's net, and his new days above water start from there. Despite the people he meets along his journey, he is not able to find a forever home, and towards the end, ends up in a shop owned by a doll mender, and he waits alongside the other dolls to find a forever home. He learns the importance of not taking everything for granted, and this is rewarded when he is able to reunite with Abilene and her daughter.
Although I do love a long-term series, I really enjoyed this heartwarming story. The point of view was from a china doll rabbit, who could not magically speak, but still had his own inner thoughts. Despite Edward having his own emotions, experience, and opinions, but none of that could be communicated with the outside world, I felt that it was a unique way perspective to read the book from.
Comments
Post a Comment