We continued on with presentations, and today, students who hadn't taken Mr. Paterson since last year presented for the first time. I was genuinely astounded when I saw how much they had acquired from just a semester into this difficult curriculum, and even though it was their first time presenting, I felt that they really absorbed many key concepts of his class. However, there were clearly areas that they were still lacking (which is exceptional and a positive thing!).
First, I noticed their pace and volume of speaking. Except for one student, the other three had this particular problem. I completely understand how nervous they must've felt, but it's certainly an area they can improve with practice. As I was listening, I felt myself gradually becoming tired and not as intrigued as I had hoped. This is presumably because the pace they spoke at was slow and quiet. I felt that no matter how detailed or high the content a presenter provides, it wouldn't matter if they aren't able to intrigue and constantly engage with the audience. Just with the tone of voice, it can make you seem less confident in yourself and you lose your audience's valuable attention as well. With the right kind of tone and pace, you're able to initiate your audience to be more attentive and focused on your words, which makes it easier to make a bold impression in their minds. Next, I noticed that the themes of the slideshow were a bit inconsistent. For example, the proper utilization of dead space. Even though the photos they had picked were high in resolution and had related to what they were speaking about, the format of everything was a bit messy and unorganized. Illustrations and photos were also getting mixed (which in my opinion doesn't look professional), and the selected color font being troublesome to observe. These small, yet significant aspects regarding visuals become notable when delivering a simplistic yet intriguing presentation.
Comments
Post a Comment