Skip to main content

2/3/20

This semester we mainly worked on improving our writing skills and acquiring more knowledge about citations and references. I truly feel that this experience was prior to enhancing both my vocabulary and writing skills. I think that I felt this way because of the semesters’ works being very difficult, but in the end a rewarding outcome. I never acknowledged the importance of correctly citing a website or paper, and now I hope to use that in my future essays and works. Also, from my standing point I am currently at as of right now, I feel that I’ve grown so much and was able to endure many things that were challenging to me, and by doing so starting from the first semester I was able to see a major growth in my writing and presenting.
For my writing, I believe that the blogs were essential in improving and practicing my writing skills I’ve had with me from the beginning. I was able to both utilize the skills I had already had in writing and let them grow, and learn new skills along the way. By doing so, it has really helped enrich my writing to become more professional and informational for the readers. Also, by using Feedly I was able to read my other classmates’ writing and from that easily develop my own blog for that class. Grammarly has also helped with double checking my grammar, and let me learn how to best utilize some words I was not familiar with in my writing when having to include the words in the AWL. The app Zotero has made citing so much easier when referring to a specific article or survey. I don’t realize it now, but I know that as I progress to the upper grades that references and citations will become a necessary skill to have done correctly throughout my essays. This could save me many times, because some teachers could just give me a 0 if I had not cited my references correctly. So I know this will come to use in both TGUISS and college classes. For presenting, I think my growth came from experience and mistakes. I’ve been learning about presenting for 3 whole semesters, and have presented the 15 minute long presentations twice. I can easily say I’ve definitely had many regrets in the past because I made some kind of mistake that Mr. Paterson noticed and pointed out. This was embarrassing for me at the time, but by looking back on it now if it were not for this experience, I don’t think I would ever be close to where I am now. I’ve learned mistakes are not a big deal, it just becomes a problem if you were to do it over again and not learn from that same mistake. It has let me face my difficulty in presenting in front of an audience , and let me become more comfortable in presenting genuinely. Also, by thinking from the audiences’ point of view and from Mr. Paterson’s advice and do’s and don’t’s, I was able to improve my presentation slides. Being concerned about the font and color of the text, making sure there isn’t just words on a slide, making the slide background picture have a certain theme all have made my slides become more professional and have made me more confident in that area than before starting this class. I also learned the importance of the order of the presentation content. It should be in a specific order for the audience to be able to best understand the information we aimed to share throughout the presentation easily and effectively.
My group sadly did not have a chance at completing our presentation for the third and final semester, but I hope to make good use of the skills and experiences I’ve learned from Mr. Paterson’s class in future presentations and essays. It has been a valuable experience as a whole, and I was able to grow stronger in the areas I was weak in the past. I have also been able to become better experienced in IT and utilizing technology and the internet for working on class projects which we never got an opportunity to do until his class. I can now finally say that IT is a very useful and efficient tool to use, and hope that other classes will think of changing to teaching with these methods.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summary of the 1st semester

This semester, I have learned so many new things from the things Mr. Paterson has taught us. He taught all semester long how not to be scared, but to be confident in yourself, and how we can learn to become the best presenter we can be. He also introduced many of us to new useful apps, and how we can incorporate technology into our studies for the better. First, he taught us how important and useful technology is these days.At TGUISS, we first and second graders are not allowed to use our phones inside the school campus. Mr. Paterson was the first teacher and class to let us use the technology we have access to, and this let us experience and explore new things about technology that Japanese schools had been hiding for a long time. We finally got to organize everything based off of Google, and got to see how convenient everything around us was getting. Finally, he taught us how to become more confident with yourself. This is one of the reasons why he’s so passionate about giving a pr...

PR Photos (4/21/21)

In today's class, we first were told we had 7 minutes to take an appealing photo to promote our school. When doing so, there were various tactics to make the school's photos look professional or interesting to best attract new students. Prior to doing so, we were explained some bad examples of places to take pictures. First was an old building that used to actually be a pool, but the exterior made it look like an abandoned building with weeds and vines growing everywhere. Next, we were taken to look at the library. Personally, I think the inside of our library would be suitable for taking pictures, but then I could not say the same for the outside. The library has big windows, but with all of the blinds closed, you would not be able to tell that the inside is a library through a photo. I decided to take a picture at a high angle of the west building, including the blue sky so it would look more appealing. Others were taking photos of the school entrance or trying to include asp...

The Mark Of Athena (Chap. 5-8)

Chapter 5 (Leo) The ship was badly damaged. Leo wished he could create a time machine to go back two hours and undo what had happened. What he had done. When explaining what had happened to Annabeth, he tells her that he couldn't control whatever had possessed him. It just felt like he was watching himself do things. Annabeth asked him if Octavian had tricked him, but Leo knew he clearly had done everything. As much as Octavian was a jerk, he wasn't the cause of it. He told Annabeth that he had felt a cold feeling, and with that, Annabeth almost seemed scared.  Annabeth was called down belowdecks from Percy, who was with Piper and caring for Jason. He had gotten a cut on the head which looked pretty bad, he just hoped his friend was okay. Annabeth asks Frank to watch over Leo, and Leo decides to let him meet Festus. They reached the bow of the ship, and the figurehead turned to greet them. Festus was once a full bronze electronic dragon, but due to some accidents, Leo had ...